of 18
Current View
of Services
Employment Services
for People with
We help people with disabilities find
To help Kansas citizens with disabilities meet their employment goals,
Kansas Rehabilitation
Services (KRS) offers a variety of vocational
rehabilitation (VR) services. If you have a disability which impacts your
ability to get or keep a job, you may want to apply for VR services.
can apply at the nearest DCF
office. For referral to the office
your community, please call toll
free 1
9079 or TDD 1
Table of Contents
Page 3
ocational rehabilitation (VR) at
Page 4
How to apply for VR services
Page 5
Page 6
How do you know if you
e eligible for services?
Page 6
Order of select
Page 7
How are services planned?
ge 8
What VR services are av
Counseling and guidance
Physical and mental restoration services
Other services
Supported employment
Job placement
Services for High School students
Page 13
rights and responsibilities
Your rights
Your responsibilities
What if you’re not satisfied?
How to contact the Client Assistance Program
Page 17
How to contact us
Vocational rehabilitation (VR) at
You apply for services at the nearest DCF/KRS office. More information
is also available:
By visiting
By calling toll
free 1
4777. (Relay Center for people
with hearing or speech
impairments: toll
free 1
visiting a DCF Access Point in your community
By calling toll
free 1
or TDD 1
0698 for
referral to the office serving your community.
We will meet with you to learn more about you, your disability and your
We will collect information about you (such as employment, medical or
school records) to determine if you are eligible for services. You may
also receive, at no cost to you, diagnostic tests or assessment services
needed to help determine if you are eligib
If you are eligible for services, you and your vocational rehabilitation
counselor will work
together to develop a program of services to help you get a job. You may
participate in additional assessments to help you focus on your interests
and abilit
ies, and to help identify what services you will need. You and
your counselor will prepare an Individualized Plan for Employment
(IPE) listing your job goal and the services you will receive. If you
prefer, you may work on developing this IPE on
your own,
or with the
assistance of another individual who is willing to help you.
Please note
In order for KRS to pay for any services, including diagnostic services, the
counselor must give written approval BEFORE the service is provided or
purchased. This requi
rement applies to all services or purchases.
Services will be provided according to your IPE. The length of this
process will vary, depending on your individual situation.
When you have completed the services you need, your counselor will
help you find a job. Your counselor can guide you, but the primary
responsibility to find a job is yours. The more job applications you
make, the better your chances.
During the first few months that you are employed, your counselor will
stay in touc
h to make sure everything is going well. When your job is
stable and you do not need any additional services, your counselor will
consider your IPE successfully completed.
If you and your counselor think it is necessary, your counselor may
check wit
h you periodically to see if you need any services to help you
keep your job.
How to apply for VR services
First, yo
u should contact the nearest DCF
/KRS office
and state that you
want to apply for VR services. We will ask you some questions to learn
t your
disability and how we can help you get or keep a job.
Some questions you will be asked are:
What is your disability?
What are your strengths, skills and interests?
doctor or hospital care or treatment have you had for your
How does your disability keep you from getting or keeping a
kind of work have you done? What kind of work are you
interested in doing?
kind of education or experience do you have?
kinds of insurance or other funding do you have which
would help pay for the services you need?
Throughout the VR process, you will be asked to provide personal
information that will help your counselor understand your disability;
termine whether you are eligible for services; and assist you in
developing and monitoring your plan for employment. Only
information that is needed to carry out your plan will be requested.
Your counselor and other rehabilitation service providers will k
information about you confidential. You may look at or copy information
in your file upon written request. Medical, psychological or other
information that may be harmful if released directly to you will only be
made available to your representative, a
physician, or a licensed/certified
psychologist. If your file contains copies of reports or records originally
developed by another agency, this information may be released only
under the conditions established by the other agency.
In most circumstances,
we will get your written permission before
we release any information about you. However, there are some
exceptions when we will release information directly without your
written permission. These exceptions are when:
Required by federal law.
Required f
or law enforcement, fraud or abuse investigations.
Required by the Child Support Enforcement program.
Required by a court order.
Required to protect you or others from a threat to safety.
Required for administration of the VR program.
Required to coordinate services for you with other programs in
the Kansas Department
for Children and Families (DCF)
Your counselor can discuss this policy with you if you have any
How do you know if you are eligible
for services?
To receive VR services, you must meet all three parts of the
following eligibility requirements:
You must have a physical or mental impairment or disability; and
Your disability must result in a substantial impediment to
employment; and
Your must require VR services to prepare for, secure, retain or regain
Individuals who are eligible for Supplemental Security Income
(SSI) or Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) are presumed to
be eligible for VR services.
Your financia
l resources will not affect eligibility. However, whether
KRS will pay for certain services will usually depend on whether you
meet economic need guidelines. (This rule does not apply to persons who
are eligible for SSI or SSDI.)
In determining whether yo
u are eligible, we will use existing
information as much as possible. This information could include
employment, medical or school records; information from Social
Security; or information you and your family provide. We may also
request additional informa
tion needed for our preliminary assessment.
For example, if needed, your counselor may ask you to get an up
medical exam. Also, special medical exams, such as eye or hearing
tests, may be needed. Medical and vocational assessments required to
mine eligibility will be provided at no cost to you. Your assistance
in providing needed information and keeping all scheduled
appointments will be appreciated.
Your counselor will let you know if you are eligible as soon as
possible. Determination of your eligibility should be completed within
60 days of your application unless you agree to an extension.
Order of selection
With the costs of medical, training a
nd other services continuing to
climb, it is possible that KRS will not have sufficient resources to serve
all eligible persons
who apply. If this situation occurs, an order of
selection procedure will be used to determine priorities for access to
All eligible clients will be assigned to one of several service
categories. The highest priority categories will be for persons with the
most significant disabilities, in compliance with federal law. Factors
considered in assigning an individual to
an order of selection category
will be:
The number of services you will need to achieve employment;
How long services are expected to last; and
The functional limitations caused by your disability.
If it is necessary to manage access to services, a
waiting list will
be maintained by the date we received your application in each closed
category. People on the waiting list will be notified when services can
be provided.
Order of selection procedures will not affect individuals who already
have finali
zed IPEs. Persons who need post employment services will
not be affected.
How are services planned?
If you are eligible for services, you and your counselor will work
together to develop an IPE. You may also work on developing your
IPE on your own or wit
h the assistance of another individual who is
willing to help you.
Your IPE will list your job goal, the services you will receive, when
you will receive the, and how your progress will be measured. The
services will be designed according to your unique
needs, therefore not
all clients will receive the same services.
To help you focus on your interests and abilities and to help
determine the services you will need to achieve employment, you may
participate in vocational assessments or evaluations before
setting up
your IPE. Such assessments can help you find out what kind of jobs you
would be good at and what jobs you might like. Some examples are:
Counseling, which involves talking with your counselor about
what work you have done and what jobs are bes
t for you.
Career exploration
, through which you can learn
about the job
market and your interests.
Work sampling,
which helps you become more familiar with
different types of jobs.
work assessments, which are done while you
are actually
working on a job.
Your employment interests are very important in setting up your IPE.
You will have the opportunity to learn about employment options and to
choose goals and services that fit your strengths, abilities and
Your IPE is the plan for your employment future and you should be
actively involved in developing it.
Both you and your counselor must sign your IPE. Your IPE can be
changed. At least once a year your IPE should be reviewed with you to
see if it is
still the best plan to help you get a job.
What VR services are available?
All eligible clients will receive vocational counseling and
guidance at no cost. The other services that will be provided will
depend on your individual circumstances and will b
e listed on your
Payment for some services will be based on financial need
guidelines. You will be expected to help pay for your rehabilitation
program according to your ability to do so.
(This rule does not apply
to people who are eligible for SSI a
nd SSDI.)
Counseling and guidance
Counseling and guidance is a major service provided by KRS. Your
counselor will talk with you, advise you and help you to plan for
employment. Some examples of counseling services are:
Help in learning about your disability, abilities, aptitudes and
Help in
choosing work goals, based on your preferences, results
of your vocational assessments and the availability of jobs.
Help in
planning to reach your employment goals.
p in
learning about jobs, education, health services, and
community programs.
Physical and mental restoration
The physical and mental restoration services that may be
provided by KRS must directly relate to your ability to get or keep a
job. Such services include:
Prosthetic and orthotic devices, such as artificial limbs or braces
and dentures.
Corrective surger
y or treatment, including outpatient care.
Eyeglasses and visual services.
Diagnosis and treatment for mental and emotional disorders. (In
patient drug/alcohol treatment is generally limited to a maximum
of 25 days.)
Special services including
therapy to help you understand and overcome
speech problems.
Physical and occupational therapy to help you develop
physical abilities and teach you how to use such things
as braces, wheelchairs, crutches and other devices if you
need them
tional services to help you develop an
individualized diet for special health problems that
interfere with employment.
If you need training to get or keep a job, your coun
selor can tell you
more about the different kinds of train
ing offered. Generally, there are
several types of training programs available:
Important reminder
Remember, KRS must approve payment
of services listed on your IPE before the
services are provided or purchased. The
approval must be in writing from
counselor. Some equipment can be
purchased only through State bidding
Sometimes you might have trouble
adjusting to work, or returning to work after an accident. This may be
because you don’t have enough confidence in yourself. You may have
trouble getting along with other people at work. You may have some
habits that cause
problems at work, like not doing things on time. If you
have these kinds of issues, KRS may refer you to a work skill program.
This kind of training can help you learn to be successful on
Instruction may be given on a
variety of topics, including:
Communication skills.
Orientation and mobility skills.
care skills.
Use of community resources and agencies for health, recreation
and leisure, education and transportation services.
In some ca
ses, you may need to learn
specific skills to reach the vocational goal listed on your IPE. This
training may be provided on
job or at technical/trade schools,
colleges or universities. If your plan includes training, it is up to you to
do the best you
can. If you have problems with the training or
adjusting to it, you must talk with your counselor about it. If you are
receiving training, you must:
Apply for PELL grants or other available financial aid. Use these
grants or funds, if you receive them, t
o help pay for training costs.
Maintain a satisfactory performance level as agreed to by you
and your counselor.
Provide a copy of your grades to your counselor at the end of
each semester or quarter. Keep in touch with your counselor throughout
your tra
in business or industrial settings may
also be arranged to help you achieve specific employment objectives.
This type of training must be agreed to by you, your counselor and the
Other services
Other important ite
ms or services can be provided through KRS, if
you need them for a job. These items or services may include:
Books, equipment, tools, supplies, licenses and stock needed to
begin work.
interpreter and tutor services.
assistance services.
technology to change a work site, or provide you
with an adaptive device, to help reduce barriers to employment.
sensory and other technological aids and
devices, such as hearing and optical aids.
KRS may also help you arrange transportation during your
training, or pay relocation and moving expenses if needed to help you
get a job. Sometimes KRS can help with living expenses, such as
room and board, child care and travel expenses, if no other finan
resources are available and if your expenses have increased as a result
of your participation in VR services. KRS will also refer you to other
agencies and programs to help you get the services you need.
Supported employment
Supported employment giv
es people with the most significant
disabilities opportunities for employment in competitive, integrated work
settings. Intensive training is provided while you’re learning the job.
Then long
term ongoing support is provided to help you keep the job. If
ur disability has prevented you from working, or if you need long
support services to keep a job, supported employment may be an option
for you. Please check with your counselor for additional information.
Job placement services
The goal of KRS is t
o help you get or keep a job. Your counselor, a
job placement specialist, or another service provider may show you how
to fi ll out application forms or help you prepare for job interviews. Your
counselor can also provide help in lessening obstacles that i
nterfere with
your ability to get or keep a job. For example, special accommodations
can be
made for transportation or in the equipment you will use in your
job. Please remember
your counselor can guide you, but you have the
primary responsibility to find
a job. It is important that you participate
actively in looking for employment.
After you begin to work, your counselor will want to be sure that
you and your employer are satisfied and see if you need any help in
staying on the job.
When your job is sta
ble and you do not need any additional services,
your counselor will contact you to close your case.
Services for high school students
VR services may also be available to help high school students with
disabilities prepare for employment after leaving
school. For more
information or to
apply, contact your nearest DCF
office. Or you may
call toll
free 1
9709 or TDD 1
0698 for referral to the
office serving your community.
Your rights
You have the right to:
Apply for services.
Receive a fair and complete assessment to determine if you are
eligible and, if eligible, to receive other VR services without regard to
your disability, race, creed, color, religion, age or sex.
Expect that all information you give your counselor, or
ormation your counselor learns about you from other sources, will be
kept confidential and used only for your plan for employment.
Take an active part in planning your IPE and be involved in any
change in that plan before it goes into effect.
Request an
administrative review or fair hearing if you are not
satisfied with KRS services. Contact your counselor or the Client
Assistance Program to learn about this appeal process.